Saturday 5th March from 3.30pm
Gather for the biggest sex worker celebration of the summer! It is the annual sex worker contingent in Mardi Gras, time to let our hair down!!
National Forum 2010 23 - 25 Nov FREE AND SEX WORKER ONLYThis is a no-media and no-general-public sex worker only space.
- The Scarlet Alliance National Forum for 2010 will be held in Sydney from the 23rd to the 25th of November. The sex worker only Forum will cover the three days from the 23rd to the 25th of November, with the public National Symposium being held on the afternoon of the 24th. Once the Forum has concluded, the Scarlet Alliance 21st Birthday Celebration will kick off on the evening of the 25th.
- All sex workers (current and former) are invited to attend! It is free and includes meals. Agenda below:
1PM – 4.55 Introduction, Housekeeping, Welcome and President’s Address followed by Scarlet Alliance report and then Member reports, including afternoon tea
Associate member reports
Elected Representative Reports
6PM-7 Discussion Topic to be decided by group
7PM Meet the Scarlet Alliance Executive BBQ Dinner - For people interested in being on the Executive Committee or in an elected position.
Wednesday 24th November, 2010
9AM-10:45 Registration & orientation followed by presentations then morning tea
10:45am-11:45am Concurrent Small Workshops
11:45am -12noon Symposium Briefing What to expect at the Public Symposium, including issues around media and confidentiality.
1:30PM-5.30 Scarlet Alliance National Symposium
8:45AM Registration & orientation
9AM One hour of free space – workshop/skill share/event
10AM–12noon Annual General Meeting
1PM-2.30pm Advocacy training & workshop – 2 streams followed by afternoon tea
2:45PM–3:45PM Concurrent Workshops (one hour)
3:45PM–4.45 Sex work Policy, Education & Research issues Determining future directions
4:45PM-5.15pm Evaluation workshop
8PM-1AM - 21st Birthday Social Event including performances, DJs and Awards. FREE ENTRY - SEX WORKER ONLY Drinks available at bar prices. (Please Note: This years venue does not allow BYO drinks)
Sex Work Regulation Symposium: Best practice models for public and sex workers health
A panel of international guest speakers are touring Australia presenting compelling evidence on how different models of sex industry regulation impact on sex workers and health promotion outcomes. The presenters will provide evidence from countries with different models of regulation including decriminalisation (New Zealand and New South Wales, Australia), the criminalisation of the clients of sex workers (Sweden) and criminalisation (Papua New Guinea - Sydney event only). Questions and discussion will be promoted in this essential session for all concerned with BBV prevention, public health and sex workers health. These events are free - RSVP is necessary - details below.
Sydney event4pm-5pm, Friday 22 October a satellite session at the Australasian HIV/AIDS Conference 2010 Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre People not attending the ASHM conference CAN attend this satellite as the symposium is the last satellite session on the last day of the Australasian HIV/AIDS Conference. If you are not attending the conference you will need to RSVP for the event in order to gain access to the venue. Please RSVP to email@example.com by the 18th October.
Hobart EventWed 27th October - More information coming soon!
Adelaide EventFriday 29th October - More information coming soon!
Perth EventWed 3rd of November - 1:30-4:30pm, Melbourne Hotel, 942 Hay Street (crn Milligan), Perth. RSVP by 25th Oct to firstname.lastname@example.org Speakers include Tim Barnett (former New Zealand MP), Basil Donovan of National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Naomi from Rose Alliance (Sweden), Catherine Healy New Zealand Prostitutes Collective and Elena Jeffreys of Scarlet Alliance.
International Whores Day Events
International Whores Day commemorates the 1975 take over of a church in Lyon, France by sex workers complaining about lack of action by police when sex workers reported crime. The date is recognised by some as the beginning of the contemporary rights movement.
We use the word whore here to reclaim use of the word and to remove its power as a word used against us. Note that this does not give non sex workers the right to use this word against us. Sex worker is the term we recognise and appreciate.
Sydney 2nd June 2010 - 7pm - 12pm - Performance Night at the Red Rattler, Marrickville
- This not to be missed celebratory night of sex worker performance includes: MC Kooky Devine; performance by Cardinal Flaw & Sister Carmen Cider, KK Nopants, Carmen, Ginger Snaps, and Debby Debutante from Debby doesn't do it for free and the announcement of the Scarlet Alliance 21st Birthday year with a performance by Madame Cake; Go-go-ing by Glitter Pony, Stranger Danger and more; a mystery booth by Grotto the troglobite; raffles; a collection of scrummy of eats; a clothes stall and Scarlet Alliance stall.
Sex workers, Friends and supporters are invited - costs $10 unwaged, $15 waged sex workers, $20 waged supporters.
Sydney 5th June 2010 - noon-2pm - Celebratory march from the Sydney Opera House
- Repeating the successful display of colour and sex worker diversity Scarlet Alliance, sex workers and our supporters will meet at Sydney Opera House steps to hear speakers and proceed with accompanying sounds and whore anthems to a performance area where the amazing Ginger Snaps will delight.
Sex workers and supporters are invited to this free event.
Adelaide 4th June 2010 - Rally, Exhibition and Celebration
- SIN South Australia is co-ordinating a rally for the decriminalisation of sex work, starting at 11:30am on the steps of Parliament House on the 2nd of June, an International Whore's Day celebration from 7PM on the 4th of June, and an exhibition to celebrate their own 21st birthday, which will be held from 11AM until 8PM on the 2nd and 3rd of June, upstairs at the Dog and Duck, 127 Hindley Street, Adelaide. Link to the media release for the exhibition event