Gender and Sex Work
Scarlet Alliance links on Gender and Sex Work
In 2015, Jules Kim spokes on the panel "21st century Damned Whores: Sex workers, sluts and deviant women" chaired by Elena Jeffreys. You can listen to the panel online here.
At Reclaim the Night in 2014, Ryan Cole spoke about the relationship between feminism, women's rights and sex work. See the speech transcript here.
In 2012 Jane Green presented at SlutWalk in Melbourne 2012, link to her full speech here.
Bec Davies speaking on sex worker rights at Slut Walk Perth link here to her full speech.
On the eve of the first ever Still Fierce rally on our capital city Canberra, Scarlet Alliance pledges support. Scarlet Alliance recognises that Trans and Gender Diverse communities in Australia are made up of people from many industries and that sex work is one of these industries. Sex workers have long been, and continue to be, visible, active, and vocal, members of many Trans and Gender Diverse communities. Link to the full media release
Our movement no longer plays the victim of the patriarchy for the convenience of the anti-sex work feminist movement and instead has found a feminism of our own – which encompasses the sex worker only space, peer-to-peer support, discussions, political organising, class, gender and race analysis that are in development but emerging as a new destination on the feminist landscape; albeit under construction. Link to Elena Jeffreys' full presentation at the "F" Feminist Conference in Sydney, April 2010
- Sex Work and Feminism by Kate Holden for Meanjin, 2011
- Commission on the Status of Women Report on the 49th Session of the Economic and Social Council of the UN
- "UNHCR Handbook for the Protection of Women and Girls" UNHCR 2008 Download PDF, 4.6MB
- AusAID Gender Policy Download PDF
- UN Security Council Resolution 1325 Link. Recognising the particular impact of war on women and children
- Womens International League of Peace and Freedom Link to the Australian branch website
- Womens Electoral Lobby Link to their Australian Website
- Women Watch - Information and Resources on Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women Link to the directory of UN Resources on Gender and Women's Issues
- UN Millennium Development GoalsLink
- Link to the website for the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW)
- Review and Appraisal of the Beijing Platform for Action and Outcome Documentof the 23rd Special Assembly of the General Assembly 2005 Link
- 23rd Special Session of the UN General Assembly on Women 2000 - Gender Equality, Development and Peace for the 21st Century Link
- The United Nations Fourth World Conference on Women Link
Updated 02 April, 2016
Scarlet Alliance pay our respect to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island elders and custodians of this land, current, past and future.
To join Scarlet Alliance, download the membership form
To join Scarlet Alliance FaceBook Group, link here.