State by State Laws in Australia
Scarlet Alliance pay our respect to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island elders and custodians of this land, current, past and future.
To join Scarlet Alliance as an individual click here (online form available at bottom of page)
- Australian Capital Territory - Governed by the ACT Prostutition Act 1992. more...
- New South Wales - Model of Decriminalisation since 1995, supported by 2016 Review more...
- Northern Territory - Licensed under the Northern Territory Prostitution Regulation Act, law reform anticipated in 2015 more...
- Queensland - Licensed by the Prostitution Act (Ammended 2001, 2006 & 2009) more...
- South Australia LAW REFORM STILL IN PARLIAMENT: Statutes Amendment (Decriminalisation of Sex Work) Bill 2015 - Criminalised under the Summary Offences Act 1953 and the Criminal Law Consolidation Act (1935 - 1976) more...
- Tasmania - Private work is legal, brothels are criminalised under Sex Industry Offences Act 2005 more...
- Victoria - JUNE 2016: CHANGES TO ADVERTISING REGULATIONS NOW IN EFFECT Licencing System more...
- Western Australia - Sex work itself is not illegal in WA, but brothel work or working in pairs is. more...
- Federal Laws - THE MOST RECENT FEDERAL LAWS WERE PASSED IN 2012 Migration of sex workers is criminalised in the Criminal Code (Trafficking in Persons Amendment 2005 & Sexual Slavery Amendment 1999)more...
|Link to database of HIV laws across Asia. The data base is run by Asia Catalyst.|
Public Submissions written or endorsed by Scarlet Alliance
2016Rose Alliance, Scarlet Alliance, ICW and INWUD Joint Submission: ‘Consultation seeking views on UN Women approach to sex work, the sex trade and prostitution’
Scarlet Alliance staff & Rani Ravudi, UN HIV Program Board Asia Pacific delegate 2015
- Scarlet Alliance "Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Rights Snapshot Report" February 2015
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Human Rights Commissioner, Tim Wilson. Sex worker human rights must be on the agenda" December 2014
Sex Worker Freedom Festival, Kolkata 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal on Reforming Licensing in NSW: Review of licence rationale and design" December 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on Inquiry into the Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Bill 2012 – Exposure Draft Legislation" December 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal on Regulation Review – Local Government Compliance and Enforcement" November 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Inquiry into Slavery, Slavery like conditions and People Trafficking" September 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on Crimes Legislation Amendment (Slavery, Slavery-like Conditions and People Trafficking) Bill 2012" July 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to MP Steph Key on South Australian Law Reform" May 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Consumer Affairs Victoria on Sexual Slavery Signs in Victorian Brothels" April 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on Regulation of the Tasmanian Sex Industry" March 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on Spent Convictions Act Review, South Autralia" Jan 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to the NSW Planning Review" Nov 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on the Western Australian Prostitution Bill 2011" July 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to the Standing Committee on Justice and Community Safety’s inquiry into the ACT Prostitution Act 1992" Feb 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to the The Criminal Justice Response to Slavery and People Trafficking; Reparation; and Vulnerable Witness Protections" Feb 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submissions into forced and servile marriage in Australia" Feb 2011
- Touching Base "Submission to Marrickville Council" Feb 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Minister Christian Porter Sex Industry Law Reform Western Australia" January 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to the 2011 CMC Inquiry into Sex Work in Queensland" January 2011
Red Brolly Walk 2010
- Scarlet Alliance "Review of Australian Blood Donor Deferrals related to Sexual Activity – Exclusion of sex workers" 2010
- Scarlet Alliance and Nothing About Us Without Us "Submission on Sex Industry Regulation in NSW" September, 2010
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Tasmanian Attorney General" June 2010
- Response to Victorian Recommendations on trafficking for sex work August 2010, endorsed by 18 influencial sex worker groups, researchers and supporters
- Submission to "Simpler visas; Creating a simpler framework for temporary and permanent entry to Australia" June 2010
- Submission to Stephen Howells, "Review of Employer Sanctions Legislation – Combating Illegal Work in Australia" June 2010
Scarlet Alliance offices in Surry Hills, 2009
- Submission to the Victorian Drugs and Crime Prevention Committee Oct 2009
- SUBMISSION TO DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING AND BETTER REGULATION OFFICE NSW: PROMOTING ECONOMIC GROWTH AND COMPETITION THROUGH THE PLANNING SYSTEM June 2009
- National Human Rights Consultation Submission by VIXEN (Scarlet Alliance member) June 2009
- National Human Rights Consultation Submission by Scarlet Alliance June 2009
- NSW Planning Minister and Attorney General consider Sex Work Advertising June 2009
- Consumer Affairs Victoria Review of Sex Work Regulations June 2009
- Senate Committee on Mens Health February 2009
- Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission Review into Police Move On Powers February 2009
- Tasmanian Sex Industry Act Review November 2008
- Review of Queensland Services and HTML version of submission, May 2008
- US State Department Trafficking In Persons Report January 2008
- Western Australian Parliamentary Committee considers law reform October 06
- Queensland PLA Regulatory Impact Statement May 06
- Consumer Affairs Victoria releases for comment their Regulatory Impact Statement March 06
- New Zealand Parliament inquiry into street based sex work March 06
- Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission ongoing inquiry into escort services Jan 06
Scarlet Alliance wins National Australia Bank award 2005
- Consumer Affairs Victoria review of the Prostitution Control Regulations August 05
- Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission inquiry into escort services April 2005
- Northern Territory Racing and Gaming inquiry into the Prostitution Regulation Act March 2005
Sex workers protest in Bangkok, World AIDS Conference 2004
- Federal AG consultation on the Draft Criminal Code Amendment (Trafficking In Persons) Bill Oct 2004
- Consumer Affairs Victoria review of Fees Regulations for licensed brothels June 2004
- Tasmanian Sex Industry Regulation Bill Consultation March 2004
- Parliamentary Joint Committee inquiry into Trafficking in Women & Sexual Servitude 26 Sep 2003
- Western Australia consultation on the Prostitution Control Green Bill Feb 2003
updated 17 April 2016