In a protest to be held outside Parliament House, Saturday May 18th at 1pm, Western Australian sex workers and their supporters are coming together to demand full decriminalisation of their work. "We want the same work rights and protections as everybody else" states local sex worker advocate Rebecca Davies.
Sex workers reject the 2011 Bill proposed by the Barnett government.
The licensing model proposed under the current Bill, or any variation short of full decriminalisation would:
- Undermine sex workers health and safety
- Exclude sex workers from labour rights/protections
- Perpetuate stigma & increase risk for sex workers
The Barnett Government is aware that licensing is a high cost failure everywhere it has been implemented in Australia.
The Barnett Government needs to finally listen to the voices of sex workers and sex worker organisations, who are the key stakeholders in this discussion.
Speakers at this event include:
- Giz Watson, MLC Member for North Metropolitan Region
- Mikayla Jay from People for Sex Worker Rights in WA
- Laura Meanderer from People for Sex Worker Rights in WA
- Farida Iqbal from Socialist Alliance
- Jane Green from Scarlet Alliance, Australian Sex Workers Association